This post contains affiliate links, if you make a purchase from one of my links I may receive a slight commission. Thank you for supporting The Fairy Princess Diaries.
Oh how I love to greet the new year in something fabulous. For the past three (or four?) NYE celebrations I’ve celebrated at the Castello di Amarosa in Napa Valley. The beautiful winery is built to resemble an authentic Italian castle and hosts some of the grandest parties I’ve ever attended. The NYE ball is black tie which for this girly-girl makes it one of the most highly anticipated nights of the year.
Whether you’re hosting a get together at home, heading out to a club or attending a black tie gala, New Year’s Eve is one of the best holidays to dress for. After the holidays it can be a little tougher to pull off head to toe sparkles or velvet (unless you’re a hollywood starlet) so I like to use NYE as an excuse to go all out. For the past three years I have rented dresses from Rent the Runway (you can see what I wore in 2017, 2016 and 2015). This year I have another fab dress reserved for the evening. If you want to try out Rent the Runway you can use my link for $30 off your order! Rent the Runway has dresses for formal affairs but also has plenty of options for a night on the town. From long, flowing gowns suited for castles, weddings or fairytales to short, sassy numbers, jumpsuits and feathered mini skirts, Rent the Runway has it all. By the way, this post is in no way sponsored! I have genuinely used RTR for years and I cannot recommend the service highly enough.
However, a girl doesn’t always want to rent her dress, and that is totally understandable. There are certain dresses you know you’ll wear and rewear and rewear so it’s worth it to pick up a piece you’ll turn to time and time again. I tried to put together a guide that features a variety of pieces available to rent or to buy, your call!
New Year’s Eve Dresses
1.Reformation Milan Dress| I am 1000% obsessed with this dress, seriously, watch me order it in white and wear it to my own wedding (it’s just THAT good). In emerald this dress is positively stunning for NYE.
2.One Shoulder Sequin Mini| For a dress that says “HELLO 2018” look no further. This dress is for the girl who loves to be the center of attention and the life of the party!
3.Astor Dress| I don’t think it’s possible to wear this dress without pretending to be a bond girl, the built in belt hits the tiniest part of your waist and the slit is going to make your legs look AMAZING.
4. Rachel Zoe Black Lace Dress| I love this sexy LBD for a nice dinner, cocktails or NYE date night, pair with fun glittery heels for a pulled together NYE look.
5. NBD Timeless Gown| You can’t go wrong in a sexy red dress on NYE, get ready for heads to turn girl because you’re going to be one hot tamale in this spicy number.
6. Badgely Mishka Champagne Dress| For the elegant girl who wants to feel more sparkly than Miss America with a glass of champs watching the fireworks. This dress is perfect for an elegant affair because it hugs your body in all the right places without showing too much skin.
7. Cowl Back Mini Dress| Easily dressed up or dressed down, throw this slip dress on over a tee after NYE for a cool girl 90s look.
8. Sequin Off the Shoulder Dress| Deep burgundy is one of my favorite colors for fall and winter (find it on my lips, nails and clothes constantly). I would wear this mini dress out with friends if I were celebrating NYE at a club or dress up party.
9. Parker Sequin Zoe Dress| I swear this mini dress was made for the red carpet. Wear your hair in a chic Ariana Grande style pony and feel like a fabulous pop star all night long.
10. Luster Dress| On sale for nearly 70% off, this dress is technically a bridesmaid dress but honestly works perfectly for any formal affair.
11. Crawford Dress|You worked hard at the gym all 2017 so show off all of your hard work in this super cute dress. You’ll give off major 90s supermodel vibes think Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss and even a little Jennifer Aniston? A super mini is flirty for a night on the town with the girls or an ultra sexy NYE date night with your guy.
Honestly, I wish I could relive NYE 2017 five times over just so I wouldn’t have to pick just one dress. UGH.
Don’t forget to accessorize, it’s half the fun!
Whatever you wear, don’t forget the perfect accessories like these Star Drop Earrings, a glittery evening clutch (UNDER $20), a pair of Carrie Bradshaw approved heels and dramatic lashes (or a set for your squad). Sparkly, over the top accessories are half the fun if you ask me! Every year I like to book an appointment to get my makeup done for New Year’s Eve, it makes me feel like I’m heading off to the red carpet and its fun to try out makeup trends I wouldn’t wear on a daily basis. Pro Tip: Book your appointment at MAC or Sephora NOW as makeup counters book up quickly on New Year’s Eve day. Or invite over your besties, grab a bottle of champagne and start the party a little early by getting ready together. Everyone needs a friend who can give her the best cat eye.
I know NYE currently seems like forever from now, but with the hustle and bustle of the holidays it will be here in the blink of an eye. If you wait until after Christmas to think about your New Year’s Eve dress you are guaranteed to run into CHAOS at the malls. Shopping centers are insane all through December, and somehow seem busier the days following Christmas. How does that work? Call me crazy but I usually think about my NYE outfit right around Halloween! I’ve found that planning my NYE wardrobe gives me something to look forward to after my favorite holiday (and favorite month) ends. Plus, it’s super fun to daydream about sipping champagne in a glittery dress while walking to your car in the freezing cold wind and pouring down rain. New Year’s planning is my escape!