I mentioned last week that I like to pamper myself with at home beauty treatments like honey face masks or avocado hair masks and a few of you enquired for more details. I have SUPER dry hair, since chopping off a few inches a couple weeks ago it has felt healthier but it is very damaged nonetheless. I used to buy Moroccan oil hair masks and apply once a week. I did like the results but I already spend so much on my hair (#BeingBlondeIsMakingMePoor) I really don’t like spending $40 or $50 on a hair mask when I can replicate really similar affects at home.
So I spent some time browsing Pinterest and came across a few cool DIY hair masks I wanted to try. Awhile back I tried a similar hair mask (DIY Restorative hair mask) but honestly I don’t really enjoy putting eggs in my hair so I decided to whip up something a little simpler.
1/2 ripe Avocado
Several Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1. Remove avocado skin and pit.
2. Mash up avocado and stir until smooth using a whisk or for best results an electric mixer.
3. Add desired amount of olive oil to the mixed avocado and combine until creamy.
4. Apply avocado-olive oil mixture to hair ends. I found it worked well to put my hair in a pony tail first so the gooey avocado wasn’t in my face.
5. Allow to sit for 25-45 minutes. A hair net/hair cover is helpful as this mask is a bit messy. I applied my mask while taking a bath to solve the mess issue.
6. Rinse mask out, shampoo hair twice and condition as usual (or not at all).
After this Avocado-Olive Oil hair mask I found my hair silky smooth and shiny! The first day my hair was a bit greasy, but after washing once more I found my hair just felt healthy and soft. My hair usually feels like hay so it has been really nice to have actual HUMAN hair for a change! I’m going to start incorporating this simple (inexpensive) hair mask into my beauty routine.
Have you created any beauty products from household staples? I love DIY spa treatments and I would love to learn about your favorites!