Happy Friday guys! Today is my last day at the office, after which I will rush home through traffic, meet up with my cousin Gen, load up the car and start driving to California. I need a venti latte just writing that! I have to be in Calistoga by 2:00PM on Saturday so it’s bound to be a busy 36 hours. Thank God Genevieve agreed to make the drive with me, I don’t know how I would drive through the night alone and I want to avoid taking Pierre the dog on an airplane if at all possible.
This week has been all about “casual blog posts“. A life catch up virtual coffee date, a little rant about isolating myself and now a few posts I’ve enjoyed from around the web. While I definitely enjoy balancing heavier content with lighter life updates and such, one of my goals for the next month and a half is to sit down and just write. I have so many ideas swirling around in my head and it feels like the past few months have been a mess when it comes to writing. Obviously spending time with my family is my top priority but in my downtime I have a lot planned and scheduled for this space.
Since I don’t have much to share today I do want to recommend a few links I enjoyed recently.
- After running a blog and working in fashion I couldn’t help but feel a little icky about the rate I was running through clothes. I’d toss Forever 21 items after only a couple of wears or send dated pieces to Goodwill because a trend was over just as quickly as it started. What does all of this waste mean and ultimately what are the effects? While I definitely recommend doing your own research on fast fashion and watching documentaries like The True Cost, I know changes are sometimes easiest to consume when they’re bite sized. This Fashionista article has 14 Resources for Becoming a More Ethical (And Educated) Fashion Consumer. No one is perfect, I know I’m not, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make small changes to help make our planet a little better (:
- Skincare is by far my favorite branch of the beauty industry. Over the past few years I’ve come to obsess over great products. Recently, clean beauty products have received a lot of press. I am definitely not an expert on ingredients but I am slowly learning to read labels and pick products based on non toxic ingredients. I loved this Visions of Vogue post highlighting the importance of choosing cleaner beauty products. Jenna really makes the process feel less intimidating.
- Sometimes it is the most straightforward questions that inspire the deepest thought. Nadine’s recent post challenged me to think about my own legacy. What am I doing for others and how can I do more? It’s a short but thought provoking piece.
- You guys know I’m all about women’s empowerment not just in the U.S. but worldwide. Impassioned as ever I started crying during a conversation about women’s rights after dinner last Friday night (no worries, this is a regular occurrence for me). We put so much emphasis on judging the way other cultures treat women without questioning (as much as we should) the way women are treated in our own country. While I am VERY grateful for the life I live and privileges I am afforded this article from The Florkens struck a chord. Adam is thoughtful and incredibly well informed (don’t you just love a blogger who actually sites their sources?). Regardless of where you fall politically you have to appreciate The Florkens’ passion and timeliness.
- As soon as spring clothes started popping up in stores I started craving an entirely new wardrobe. I’ve ALWAYS been a bit of a shopaholic but I was really proud of how much I improved this past Fall. Truthfully, I tripped up and went a little crazy with spring shopping the past couple of weeks. I’ve felt gross and bratty because I already have so much yet I found myself constantly lusting after a new purse, a new pair of shoes, a new dress…shouldn’t I be happy with what I already have? Annaliese’s post on her four week shopping fast captured everything I’ve been feeling. It’s a great read if you’re trying to save a little money or just want to cut back on the consumerism (plus Annaliese is just adorable and sweet so that’s always a plus).
Be sure to share any posts you found thought provoking or entertaining this week. Have a fabulous weekend!