Spring cleaning takes on a whole new meaning when you’re moving! In addition to the usual tasks like scrubbing down the bathroom, cleaning out the pantry and organizing the coat closet I am attempting to go through knick knacks and clothes. How is it that I have piles of clothes everywhere but seemingly nothing to wear? As our new place will have one bedroom (instead of two like our current place) I am really trying to downsize and de-clutter. We will be sharing a small walk in closet so I am urging (read: begging and pleading) Jordan to trim back on his shoe and clothes collection as well. I want our new place to feel airy and open not like we’re drowning in knick knacks and laundry.
Last week I couldn’t bring myself to sit down and blog for a couple reasons. One, I had so much to pack that I felt guilty taking time away from getting my apartment in order. And two, I am horrible at keeping any “secrets” from spilling out as I type. I don’t have any skeletons in the closet but over the past four years of blogging I’ve learned it’s better to keep some details and announcements under wraps until I’ve smoothed out all of the wrinkles. I needed a week to detach from blogging and hit the gym, pack up boxes, etc. I always miss this space when I am away, and though I have been blogging less than usual for the past few months I am excited for new content centered around my new place and life changes.
10 Things Moving/Spring Cleaning Related:
- I haven’t read “The Lifechanging magic of tidying up” yet but with all of the things I’m donating and throwing out I feel like now would be the right time to read it. I can use a little extra encouragement when it comes to tossing those cute shoes (I never wear because I can’t walk in them). Ha!
- I’ve been looking through Pinterest and Apartment Therapy for creative storage and organization ideas. I want everything from the closet to the kitchen to the bathroom to be clean and clutter free (don’t we all) and I think workable storage solutions make the biggest impact. I see a trip to The Container Store in my future!
- Speaking of which…new life goal to someday not spend 25+ days contemplating whether or not to buy a makeup organizer from The Container Store (and instead just buy it).
- This move is extra complicated because we are moving on a Wednesday. I couldn’t take the day off work to move and Jordan couldn’t really ask anyone to help him (because it’s a weekday). We found a really great deal on movers and decided to hire a couple guys for a few hours. I haven’t used movers before so I’m hoping it works out.
- As moving services can be expensive (even with a discount) I decided to take some of the clothes we are getting rid of to Crossroads, a consignment shop, to see if we could make any money from our old clothes. I’ve tried sites like Poshmark and ThreadUp in the past. I think consignment websites are great if you are selling a couple high end pieces like a purse, great pair of shoes or a jacket but seem like way more work than they’re worth for summer dresses, tees, inexpensive shoes, etc. I spent so much time and energy selling a pair of Ugg snow boots last spring it didn’t even feel worth it after Postmark took their cut out of the commission. Is your experience different? Maybe I’m just impatient with that sort of thing.
- Whenever I’m looking at cute studio apartment tours on Apartment Therapy (like this one)I can’t help but wonder where do these people keep things like vacuums, Christmas decorations or snowboard equipment? Do they just not have all that extra stuff or are they secretly moving the big clutter from space to space as they perfectly curate each photo? Apartment dwellers please tell me how you conceal these items?
- Packing up our medicine cabinet and bathroom cabinets I can’t help but wonder why I didn’t reorganize these spaces sooner. I urge you (even if you’re not moving) to go through your bottles of medicine and products and throw out everything that is expired or (if you’re like me) the empty hair products you have kept for whatever reason. Why did I insist on this extra clutter in my life?
- One of the only things I will miss about our current apartment is my turquoise and gold office. We used temporary wallpaper from Target to cover a dark red accent wall. I used this wallpaper but there are quite a few options at Target.com (many more than in stores).
- I promised Jordan that when we moved I would get rid of the canopy above our bed. I’ve had a pretty white canopy since my first studio apartment I moved into when I was 20. While I am a little sad to say goodbye to the girly touch I think it’s a fair compromise on my part (after all Jordan doesn’t mind the subtle unicorn theme in our living room and he’s lived under the princess canopy for two years).
- Over the weekend we hauled out three large boxes to a consignment store and even more to Goodwill. As a reward for parting with so many pieces I bought this cute gingham dress from Banana Republic (on sale!) and this Leith floral dress from Nordstrom. Now if only it would stop raining so I could wear them.
Happy Monday! If you have any spring cleaning or moving tips please send them my way.