My perspective on age has really evolved since graduating college two and a half years ago. Unknowingly I used to put a lot of emphasis on age vowing I would get married by the time I was 27 but not before I was 24 or relying on the idea that I would have my life together by the time I was 25 or really know what I was doing by 30. I’ve been 25 for two months now and I’ve found that everyone has something to say about where you should or shouldn’t be in life. I think most people mean well when they offer up their input on your life but I’ve found if I give everyone else’s opinions too much weight I start to feel pretty down on myself.
I’ve realized it’s really important for anyone, no matter how old or how young, not to let ideas centered around age to constrain them. It’s never too late to try something new nor are you ever too young to achieve big things. As cliché as it sounds each of our journeys are unique. The meaning of “twenty five” is totally different to me than it is to someone like Emily from The Freckled Fox who had five little ones by my age or than it is for a friend who is traveling the world or my boyfriend who had started a business. All of our stories are (and should be) different! I’m trying not to measure myself or others up to an imaginary set of rules or standards.
Now, with that little reflection on what being twenty-five means to me over with-I thought I’d share a few facts about myself. I haven’t shared any “about me” posts around here in quite some time. While this whole space is “about me” I like to check in and reintroduce myself from time to time. Plus I love love love reading fun, trivial facts about you so PLEASE take a moment to comment with a little introduction and/or a pop off a few facts! <3
1. At Starbucks my order is a grande soy vanilla latte, although I recently tried the new almond milk cinnamon macchiato and it was delicious!
2. Whole Foods is my happy place. I seriously feel manic when I’m shopping there. I truly don’t think I can consider moving to an area where Whole Foods isn’t within a reasonable driving distance.
3. In elementary school band I played the trumpet. After 6th grade I retired from my musical career, probably for the best!
4. When it comes to my bedtime I am RIGID. I am not a night person and rarely will stay up past 10:00 if it means forgoing eight hours of sleep.
5. I can’t walk out of a stationary shop without buying something. I love sending cards & letters.
6. I am obsessed with wedding dresses (though I’ve never been married myself). I worked at a bridal shop for a few months and I frequently look at bridal fashion on WWD.
7. I have two small tattoos, a quote from Hamlet on my hip and a dragon on my wrist.
8. You won’t ever find my refrigerator without berries, spinach or ice cream, they’re my go-to staples.
9. I would prance around in the sun in a bikini every day of my life but I don’t like swimming at all (minus the time I swam with dolphins of course).
10. Kids make me ridiculously happy. I’ve been a nanny, a babysitter and a big sister. I love playing dress up, having tea parties and cartwheeling-kids just get me. That being said…I’m just not into babies, does that make me the worst?
11. Running is my favorite form of cardio. I joined track in 5th grade and I’ve been running on a regular basis ever since.
12. I’m a fiercely loyal person and I worry sometimes too forgiving. I think relationships and friendships are important, I don’t take the vows of friendship lightly.
13. Reading is definitely one my favorite pastimes. I just finished The Lonely Hearts Hotel, next on my list is Difficult Women and My (not) so Perfect Life. I always appreciate recommendations.
14. I recently discovered Rupi Kaur’s poetry. Her work is so beautiful, I can’t wait to get my hands on Milk & Honey.
15. When I’m home alone I’ll often eat my dinner in the bath. Come on what’s better than a bubble bath and spaghetti?
16. For special occasions I really like getting my makeup done at Sephora or MAC but for daily wear I prefer to go simple (skincare and mascara only please).
17. I’m very hesitant to meet new people. I’d like to blame it all on being socially awkward but in large groups I tend to just not really like people..ugh I know I’m the worst. I’m working on it.
18. Taylor Swift has been my favorite artist for years-I’m dying waiting for her to release a new album. Taylor Swift was my WCW, I believe she is a style icon , I even created a Taylor Swift drinking game in college. I guess you could say I’m cray cray for Tay Tay.
19. I was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority for my first two years of college before I transferred schools. Yay for dolphins and sisterhood!
20. My favorite quality in a friend is silliness. Everyone has their own unique brand of humor but I delight in people who are able to laugh at themselves and laugh their way through difficult situations.
21. Nothing cheers me up on a dreary day quite like a bouquet of fresh flowers. I try to remember to pick up “just because” flowers for other people because I know how happy they make me (:
22. Lately I cannot stop daydreaming about emeralds, I think they’re so gorgeous and think I need a pair of emerald earrings for day to day wear. #Someday
23. I’m not particularly religious but I find world religions (and cults) endlessly fascinating. I have lots of book recommendations on cults if you’re freakishly interested too!
24. If I could intern/job shadow/assist anyone for a month it would be Amal Clooney. I want to go into law and the issues she takes a stand on are admirable.
25. I’m (to my knowledge) primarily Irish, German and Native American. Happy St.Patrick’s day even though I’m not doing anything to celebrate. Green is pretty much my favorite color so that has to count for something.
Have a wonderful weekend!