Prior to meeting Jordan I was a bit of a serial dater. I jokingly lived by the motto “date to eat” but in actuality I’ve always just really enjoyed first dates. Though I’m a bit of an introvert I thrive one on one with others. I would much rather converse with one person for the entire night than attempt to mingle at a party making first dates one of my favorite activities.
Generally first dates involve a bar, coffee shop or dinner at a nice restaurant. I have no issue with cliche first dates, however, there are more than three ways to get to know someone. Summer is a wonderful time for a little first date creativity because you can take advantage of the outdoors.
Be sure to keep your date in mind as you suggest options. If you’re going on a first date with a guy you’ve been friends with forever, choosing a more intimate location or a long lasting activity won’t be unsafe or awkward. If you just swiped right on Tinder and haven’t even shared a real conversation yet use your best judgement and opt for a public venue.
30 First Date Ideas:
- Have a bonfire at a local beach, don’t forget to make S’mores!
- Bake a homemade pizza, if you are a wreck in the kitchen grab pre-made dough so the process is a bit easier.
- Head to the zoo and make your date show you their favorite animal.
- Attend an outdoor concert in your city.
- Head to the aquarium, if it isn’t busy it’s a great place to grab a seat by a fish tank and watch the fish while you get to know each other.
- Rent bikes (many major cities offer this as a public service) and take a tour of your town.
- Take a cooking class, grocery stores (like Whole Foods) offer these classes for free or at a low cost.
- Rent a canoe and explore a local lake.
- Try Paddleboard yoga, you can occasionally find deals on sites like Groupon or Livingsocial.
- Set up a Croquet set at a local park and have a competition. Even if you’re painfully bad you will enjoy a slow paced way to get know each other in the sunshine.
- Check out VolunteerMatch for one time service activities. Nothing will make the two of you connect like giving back to the community.
- If you’re both feeling sporty grab a volleyball, lather on sunscreen and take advantage of the long days of summer. Play beach volleyball until the sun sets.
- Grab tickets to a community play.
- Meet in the daylight with a brunch date. If you insist on alcohol you can still have mimosa to ease those first date nerves and who can say no to cinnamon rolls and eggs Benedict?
- Have a picnic at sunset.
- Peruse a farmer’s market and sample as many foods as you can.
- Look for Pokemon together . I don’t play Pokemon Go but I can imagine this would be a pretty fun date, right?
- Run a fun themed 5k…it sounds weird but if you both love being active it’s a great way to share a common interest.
- Attend a professional sporting event, even if you aren’t into sports it’s fun to eat stadium food and cheer on a team together.
- Check out an Escape Room. You’ll test your wits and maybe even bond by getting scared together.
- Ride a ferris wheel! (Jordan and I did this on one of our first dates…at the top he said “This would be a really good place to kiss you for the first time” but didn’t do it. I couldn’t stop giggling nervously for the rest of the night).
- If either of you have a dog, head to an off leash dog park. Pets are great conversation starters provided that you both like animals.
- Paint ceramics.
- Head to an arcade like Gameworks and try to win as many tickets as possible together. Be sure to take a silly photo in the Photo Booth.
- Have an outdoor game night, bring along snacks, cards and your favorite board games.
- Go on a quest for the city’s best ice cream. Go to 3-4 shops and share a scoop from each. Determine the winner at the end of the date.
- Take a scenic hike (only a good first date with someone you are not meeting for the first time off the internet). Be safe people!
- Meet at a local museum and take your time browsing through the exhibits. Art museums are great but depending on your interests you can opt for a history museum, science fiction museum, etc.
- Adventurous pairs should try a ropes course together. You’ll build trust and have a great time conquering obstacles with one another.
- Pick a cool, walkable neighborhood and enjoy a “progressive dinner”. Have appetizers at one restaurant, a main course at the second and drinks at the final location. If you’re still enjoying each other’s company pick a fourth spot for a drink or two!
My first date with Jordan was a bit erratic (which made it all the more memorable and special to me). We started off buying chocolates, then headed to sushi and played skee ball too! Most of our first few dates felt like a whirlwind (hopping from one spot to the next not wanting to part ways) but I loved the variety!
Dating should be fun! Whether you’re serial dating or in a long term relationship it is refreshing to switch up your routine with a new date. If you have any date suggestions or funny first date stories be sure to leave a comment. I love hearing about dating!