When you’re dating a guy who has worn the same old torn up Nikes for the past five years and refuses to give up the frat-boy tank “trend” it’s easy to wish for a more fashionable boyfriend. What would it be like to have a boyfriend who could dress himself for a fancy New Year’s Eve party or family dinner without completely humiliating you? You often wonder if he has ever set foot in a department store let alone braved the pages of a fashion magazine. You daydream about the Pinterest-perfect couple photos you could take together if only he’d update the cargo shorts and switch out the graphic tee just for the day jaunting around the streets of Paris. As girls the stereotype tends to favor us when it comes to fashion. Though we may tease and nag (who me? Never!) our boys a bit when it comes to their personal sense of style (if you can call hoodies and board shorts a personal sense of style) we let this lack of fashion sense become a comfort zone.
We’re used to being looked at like the world’s most trendy Goddesses of fashion (even if it’s only our significant other placing us on such a pedestal). Don’t we all love to be the ones that teach our man-candy the beauty of a maxi dress (style meets comfort) and explain that “YES” highwaisted shorts and jump suits are SO in style? Needless to say you’ll be questioning everything you ever thought you knew about fashion when mercury is in retrograde and coincidentally you start dating a boy who is more fashionable than you!
15 Signs your Boyfriend is more Fashionable than You:
1. He can’t seem to understand why college women are always wearing yoga pants or running shorts. “Do they constantly need to be ready for some sort of hiking expedition? Are they heading straight from class to the gym?“. No, it’s just considered an acceptable style so accept it okay?
2. He distinctly recognizes the specific chime on his phone indicating a Gilt sale (& promptly drops all important business to attend to said sale because his size “always sells out the fastest“).
3. While shopping you reach for a cute pair of wedges only for him to correct your word choice. “I think they’re actually called espadrilles wedges…” You don’t truly know shame until your boyfriend understands Tory Burch’s spring line exponentially better than you.
4. When the two of you are getting ready to go out he takes longer to pick out his outfit and tries on more combinations than you. Fortunately his room doesn’t end up looking like a tornado just ran through it because he’s actually taken the time to invest in the proper closet organization tools and therefore isn’t shoving multiple sundresses, sweaters and scarves on a single hanger.
5. At any given time he has a drawer full of pieces that still have the tags on them and an entire room dedicated as his shoe closet (okay Carrie Bradshaw).
6. He sends you editorial fashion photos on Instagram throughout the day with captions such as “You should do a photo shoot like this for your next blog post” because modeling a shoot off of a Kate Moss is so easily emulated.
7. He surprises you with jewelry and clothes and it’s weird because you actually like the gifts and not just in the “I like this because my boyfriend gave this to me” sort of way.
8. When you ask him to take a photo for you he fixes your pose and then compliments you by referencing a specific supermodel you’re channeling. But wait…I thought guys didn’t know the name of models unless they were Victoria’s Secret Angels?
9. All of his clothes are tailored perfectly because obviously he won’t even try it on until his favorite tailor alters each piece.
10. And he owns more pairs of sunglasses than you own pairs of socks and underwear combined.
11. You find yourself receiving more compliments when you steal his sweaters and hoodies than when you wear your own #WhyDoIEvenTry?!
12. He’s always down to coordinate outfits for a party, for a date, for a jog…it doesn’t matter because finally you’ve found someone else who realizes the importance of coordination more than you and your bestie.
13. You can tell it makes him uncomfortable when you try to combine your guy’s laundry, “Don’t put the joggers in the dryer, don’t mix the Club Monaco t-shirts with lesser fabrics…have you ever taken a textiles class?” Eyeroll…since when has a textiles class been required for household chores?!
14. When he invites you over to watch a movie you feel like a total slob when you show up in ripped sweats and your high school cheer sweatshirt when you see he’s just stepped out of the pages of a J.Crew catalogue.
15. Despite the fact that his shoe collection is more extensive and his sweaters never pill the way yours seem to he still makes you feel like the most beautiful stylish person in the room even if you’re in the same Lululemon Wunder Unders you’ve worn all week. He constantly surprises you by noticing the little things like a new necklace you’re wearing, the winged eyeliner you’re trying out or that you painted your nails lavender. He may be more fashionable but you can’t ask for a sweeter gesture than that!
P.S. This was all created in good humor to poke fun at my fashion-loving boyfriend. I have nothing against cargo shorts, 5 year old Nikes or the people who wear them (: