I’ve mentioned before that I kind of can’t handle makeup. I am the most stereotypical girl who simultaneously just really sucks at all things girly (hair, makeup, nails, walking in heels…you name it). Every day makeup is such a struggle so I don’t ever bother with face products (foundation, concealer…wait what?!) and the idea of filling in my eyebrows mortifies me. I don’t think I’m too good for makeup or doubt the transformation process (I am ADDICTED to getting my makeup done at Sephora) but I’m just not meant to be a makeup guru. I’ve been attempting to apply the same simple cat-eye since 7th grade and I still look like a crazy feral stray half the time (which means I’m failing). I’m just bad at makeup and I’ve accepted it.
Growing up natural beauty was always emphasized in my household. My Mom never wore very much makeup (and she’s the most naturally gorgeous woman in the whole wide world so who can blame her) and I was always encouraged to apply makeup as minimally and naturally as possible. My Mom never wore foundation or BB cream so naturally I didn’t even realize either were a thing people wore on an every day basis until college. I was so uneducated and inexperienced in the cosmetics realm that I didn’t even apply lotion to my face every day until my freshman year when I bought a bottle just to get the free Clinique gift that came with a $25 minimum purchase. WHO DOESN’T KNOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO MOISTURIZE YOUR FACE? Luckily I realized the error of my ways and quickly became addicted to treating my skin like that of a human rather than the desert lizard woman I was destined to become and I like to think I’ve learned a thing or two about products since while still maintaining the philosophy I grew up with “makeup should enhance your natural features!”
Since I’m nosey and I love seeing what other people paint on their faces every day I thought I would share the products I have come to love and rely on. Right now I work as a nanny so I could head to work straight out of bed without even looking in the mirror and the babies would still be happy to snuggle and slobber on me but I still like to put myself together (a little bit) so I can take selfies and send snapchats all day mostly (kidding…a little).
My Top 5 “I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOU” Products:
1. Kate Somerville Nourish Daily Moisturizer| My skin is fairly sensitive and can start to feel super dry especially in the winter. I love all Kate Somerville products but this moisturizer takes the cake. Putting it on my face each morning and evening is my favorite part of my beauty routine, it’s so light and airy and smells amazing! (Prior to my discovery of Kate Somerville I used Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion and loved it too at a bit of a lower price point)
2. Diorshow Mascara| I know for a basic everyday mascara this Dior product seems a little excessive for some however as someone with thin blonde eyelashes I can promise there is a noticeable difference between Diorshow and all of the drugstore brands I’ve tried. I love it because it is light (noticing a trend?) and doesn’t clump up but still makes my lashes full and dark. I like my eyelashes to look long and full while still maintaining a natural appearance and Diorshow does just that. (I also love Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara when I’m going for a little more dramatic look)
3. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof liquid Eyeliner| It is truly amazing the difference a thin black line across your eye can make! I am so shaky (blame coffee) that most liquid eyeliner is such a challenge. Stila is so easy for perfecting the perfect cat-eye or retro winged eyeliner.
4. Kate Somerville Clearing Mask| This clearing mask is such a great option for when my skin is acting up. I generally have pretty clear skin (thank you genetics) but have occasional breakouts primarily in my t-zone. This mask was recommended to me when I received a facial at Solage in Calistoga. Since I already loved Kate Somerville products I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed. I’ve quickly worked this mask into my skin care routine about once a week (if you want to try creating your own weekly face mask I recommend using honey, I love it!)
5. Nars Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil| Recently I’ve started to incorporate lipstick into more every day looks. I used to be so afraid of looking like a clown but I really think lipstick just takes a little getting used to. I love pinks and reds and burgundy (I even tried black for a photo shoot recently) but always gravitate toward lipstick pencils. I am not organized enough to buy lipstick and lipliner and lip primer and whatever else it is you need to achieve lip perfection. I’m lazy (and poor). I love Nars lipstick pencils because they are easy to use if you’re not gifted with makeup and seem to serve as a lipstick and lipliner all in one!
My current beauty repertoire:
I mainly would like to just win a $500 giftcard to Sephora so if anyone is just giving away that sort of treat feel free to send it my way. I’ve been trying to try the GlamGlow mudmask, if you’ve experienced it let me know what you think! What is your daily makeup routine like? Are you pretty boring like me? Or do you like to experiment? Tell me your favorite brands and products!