To accompany the post I wrote a few weeks ago, “Not one of the Guys”, I thought I’d talk a little about being “one the girls”. I’ve always been the sort of girl who is friends with other girls (rather than the girl who can chill with the guys). There were definitely times in my life that I wished I could change my situation (aka middle school when there wasn’t a single guy within a 100 mile radius who would talk to me) but I have embraced my inherent “Girliness” and found that I actually much prefer being a “Girls’ Girl”. Here are a few of the traits I believe indicate you’re more of a “Girls’ Girl” than a “Bro”.
1. You’ve always been “Team Jennifer” not “Team Angelina”.
2. Even though you’re over the age of 14 your perfect Friday night includes a sleepover and chick flick.
3. You can’t quite understand why anyone would refer to “looking like a Barbie” as if it were a bad thing…
4. If it isn’t alive you either have it monogrammed or covered in glitter.
5. You dot your i’s with hearts or flowers.
6. Friendship bracelets are not a fashion trend with an age limit.
7. A night out requires pre-funking with mimosas followed by fruity mixed drinks at the bar. Shots? Beer?…Um, ew.
8. There are certain events that always require a new outfit: A Birthday, A First Date, A Themed Party and Sorority Recruitment.
9. You share more with your best friend than you share with your boyfriend. You don’t consider it sharing a secret (or breaking a promise)if you tell your best friend because isn’t it like implied that you would?!
10. You are secretly wishing The Spice Girls would get back together and that they’d make a Friends reunion season.
11. While on a road trip with a large group of guys you become aware for the first time that the Legally Blonde the Musical soundtrack, Hannah Montana and Taylor Swift are not necessarily gender neutral artists…huh.
12. You would rather have your friends talk to you in the bathroom while you’re peeing or showering than face the sad and lonely frontier of peeing or showering alone.
13. It’s always an accident but occasionally when you ask a question you do a little head tilt (sort of like a puppy…so it’s cute right?)
14. Likewise you’ve uttered “Wait…What?!” a few too many times.
15. You’ve mastered the art of french braiding other people’s hair (whoever said sleepovers weren’t educational).
16. You are known to tear up on Birthdays and Holidays because your friends are just so sweet and you just can’t believe they know you so well.
17. You have definitely used Legally Blonde as motivation for your real life problems before (I mean Elle looked fabulous and went to Harvard so why can’t you?!)
18. When your family invites you on a trip and says you can bring along your boyfriend you ditch him and ask if you can bring along one of your best friends instead…then you can share clothes!
19. Coordinating outfits with your friends before any event is essential (otherwise what if your outfits totally clash for the pictures?!?!)
20. You have a girl who is not your sister, or wife or girlfriend listed as your sister or wife or girlfriend on Facebook.
As I write this I am sitting next to my Best Friend “studying” in the library and I am incredibly thankful I am a Girls’ Girl. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against all of the lovely Tomboys out there (in fact there are times I am envious) but to be honest I love my sleepovers and bows and heart to heart cry sessions way too much to be anything else.
Do you consider yourself a “Girls’ Girl” or “One of the Guys”? Do you have any tips for befriending guys (I’m great at getting them to want to…umm…date me but bad at getting them to be my friends)? I am living in a Frat over the summer so I need to learn to like talk to guys, whenever everyone learned that skill I was off making daisy crowns or something.