Oh man, it’s been a long time since we’ve talked Taylor around here hasn’t it??? Or does it just feel like a long time because we wish we could be talking about Taylor all day every day? And of course by “We” I mean “Me” because as I sit here alone typing in a coffee shop I am essentially just talking to myself anyways. As a blogger you do that a lot don’t you? I’m not the only one right?!
Ever since I turned 22, in January, I’ve been obsessed with being 22. Not only is there a fabulously catchy song all about being 22 years old but, I just think it’s a fabulous age. Sometimes I wish I could be 22 for the rest of my life, other times…not so much. I’ve compiled a list of 22 signs you’re 22, or at least 22 at heart.
Monthly Weekly Daily mental breakdowns because you don’t know where your life is going are the norm among you and your friends. Here’s to hoping you’ll all have it a little bit more together by 23 30.
2. You’re on a date and you fill voids in conversation by talking about the time you hyperventilated at a Taylor Swift concert, and the time you told a random stranger that Taylor Swift licked your hand (even though she didn’t) and the time you got a letter from Taylor Swift for your birthday, and you cried about it. Oh and to top it all off you don’t feel like it’s maybe socially inept to talk about Taylor Swift so much.
3. You sometimes find yourself wondering what an iron is and why would you need one, isn’t that the second use for your hair straightener?
4. Words like “obvi” slip out in casual conversation, and you wouldn’t even notice except for the fact that real adults laugh at you.
5. The word “sleep” has been replaced by the word “coffee” in your vocabulary, for example the sentence “I really need some sleep” is now “I really need some coffee”.
6. Every few months you go through some sort of dramatic life realization and become a completely different person than you were a few months ago. #Epiphany
7. You complain about “feeling old” when shopping at “Forever 21” because uh HELLO! You’re 22.
8. The same can be said for frat parties, why are all of these 18 year old boys hitting on you and making you feel practically like a senior citizen.
9. But then you go to a bar and the bouncer looks at your ID and proclaims “I can’t believe you’re old enough to be in here” and you feel radiantly youthful again.
10. Every time you log into Facebook and see another person announcing their engagement or pregnancy you sort of freak out because you can’t even keep that potted plant your Mom gave you alive.
11. You’ve made it your goal to “get into” wine because you want to be sophisticated unlike your tequila shot taking former Freshman self, duh.
12. When the song “22” comes on you OMG freak out because “OMG I’M 22!!!”. Other people do that right?
13. The fact that you can see that he “read” your text seven minutes ago but still hasn’t texted you back is enough to make you descend into madness, Sylvia Plath style.
14. A night of dressing up like hipsters and making fun of your exes and eating breakfast at midnight with your girlfriends seems like the ultimate form of post break up therapy.
15. Pizza is a food group. Ice cream is also a food group. Yet somehow you still look hot in that bikini (people keep saying you won’t be so lucky with said food groups and bikini body in a couple years…eek)!
16. Even though you’re totally independent and grown up and emotionally stable…there are multiple times each week in which you sort of just break down and call your Mom crying.
17. Every single text can be improved by adding Emojicons.
18. When you are in the depths of despair you turn to the Pinterest “Quotes” section to inspire you and pull you out of your dark abyss.
19. You are friends with people who seriously throw around phrases like “Good Vibes” and “YOLO”.
20. When you want to make an outfit feel grown up you toss on some pearls or a blazer, that makes it business casual right?
21. Before going on a date with, hooking up with, or even just texting a guy you MUST consult with your friends first. It’s like the rules of feminism.
22. Sometimes life feels a little bit MISERABLE (and magical, because somehow those two feelings are simultaneously possible) but at the end of the day you know everything will be alright if you just keep dancing like you’re 22.
I’m cheesy. But what can I say, when I’ve had a bad day I just need to listen to Taylor Swift alone by candlelight and remember that the whole world isn’t falling apart and it is all going to be okay in the end.
P.S. All photos by Jeff Henkel. Yay! Thanks!