Happy first day of Lent! I’m not Catholic but I’ve noticed that you don’t have to be a practicing Catholic to join the trendy “lent” movement. Some people use Lent as a jump start diet (no junk food/no soda/etc) or others as an attempt to better use their time (no facebook/no tv/you know). I’ve honestly never given up anything for Lent, last year I tried to give up arguing with my boyfriend but I only lasted you know…three days so I’d say it wasn’t very successful. For those of you who want to keep drinking diet coke and checking twitter incessantly in class I have compiled a list of twenty things you should give up for Lent (or maybe even forever).
1. Treating feminism like it is a bad word, if you are afraid to call yourself a feminist (aka someone who wants equal rights for women) you don’t deserve the right to vote anyways. #sorrynotsorry
2. Watching or reading anything Kardashian related, maybe then the people of this family will be forced to get real careers or at the very least their fame game will be out of the public eye.
3. “Man Crush Monday”, because no one is at all surprised that your #mcm is your boyfriend of three years (and it’s not that cute either).
4. Trying to pass ridiculous and discriminatory laws against homosexuals/African Americans/women/ANYONE (umm…Arizona I’m looking at you).
5. Talking about Juan Pablo. I mean, The Bachelor is officially over so that makes him sort of irrelevant right?!
6. Bloggy drama, come on people this is just so silly. There are plenty of bloggers I find annoying too, that’s what the little “x” in the corner of my browser is for. If you don’t like it, don’t look!
7. Pretending that being a helpless “Daddy’s girl” is somehow trendy or fashionable just because twitter accounts like “TSM” and “Princess Probz” exist. It’s all great as a joke but in reality being independent and driven is so much cooler than the “pouty princess” phenomena.
8. Finding random life quotes and naively attributing them to Abraham Lincoln or Marilyn Monroe. Source check! Source check! Source check!
9. Texting under the influence of champagne…yeahhhhhh this one doesn’t really need much of an explanation.
10. Acting like EVERY.SINGLE. breath Jennifer Lawrence takes is some sort of klutz empowering anti eating disorder gift from God. I mean…I liked The Hunger Games just as much as the next person but by now we all have to know her “Girl next door” “all I do is eat chips and watch tv” act is at least partially a publicity move right?!
11. Listening to “Let it Go” on repeat (but it’s just SO hard to stop).
12. Playing dumb, because if a guy doesn’t like you because you have a brain…he’s probably not a guy you want to date.
13. Feeling guilty about your body, we can’t all look like Adriana Lima, go out and rock that bikini anyways!
14. Putting your dreams off until “someday”, start making them come true now!
16. Glorifying “Blacking Out”, eek! You guys this is SO dangerous! It all seems like fun and games when you’re out “frat-ing” with your besties but this bad drinking habit goes beyond just embarrassing morning after stories.
17. Ranting about your “on again off again” boyfriend via Facebook. We all need to vent sometimes but that’s what real life friends are for and counselors and diaries!
18. Following Pinterest’s overnight “no heat” curl tutorials, otherwise you’ll wake up looking like Mary’s little lamb (Don’t say I didn’t warn you).
19. Girl on girl competition. Wouldn’t the world just be a happier place if women could just work on supporting and empowering each other instead of just making everything into some sort of catty competition?
20. Using those cheesy iphone photo editors. We all can tell those aren’t your real eyelashes and your skin isn’t flawlessly airbrushed (I’ve been guilty too) but let’s just stop. I like your real selfie better!
What are you giving up for Lent? Which items on my list do you agree and/or disagree with? Please keep in mind my list is all meant to be taken you know…humorously, I’ll still love you if you refuse to stop watching “Keeping up with the Kardashians”.