Last night I was feeling really…”pinteresting”. Not only did I decide to practically mash up guacamole and throw it on my head but I also lathered a honey concoction all over my face. I can’t say my at home beauty treatments beat a day at the spa, yet for a fraction of the price I was pretty happy with these little beauty remedies. After studying dozens of hair mask recipes I decided to throw together my own with some of the more common ingredients used for dry, damaged, frizzy hair (I guess that’s what happens post dreading, perming and bleaching).
Ingredients you will need:
1. Mash up 1/2 avocado in a bowl.
2. Stir in one whole egg, one tablespoon of olive oil, and one tablespoon of honey.
3. Wet your hair using a spray bottle, a sink or a shower, your call here.
4. Slop your gooey green mixture on the bottom 3/4 of your hair using your fingers to comb the guacamole like substance throughout. This step WILL be messy so I recommend wearing gross clothes/hovering over the sink (see picture above).
5. Pull your hair into an ooey gooey sticky bun on the top of your head and wait for 30-45 minutes. Read a magazine, take a hot bath, watch Pretty Little Liars, however I recommend not laying your head down on your white pillow case. If you have a shower cap, by all means, this is the time to use it!
6. Rinse hair with cool water (do NOT use hot water as it may cause the egg to cook on your head which is a pretty gross situation if you ask me).
7. Shampoo/Condition your hair as usual, be extra sure to check for any remaining avocado. After my shower I kept finding straggling avocado chunks throughout my hair which was amusing yet also just gross.
Your hair should feel softer, shiner and healthier! Coming from a girl with VERY dry, damaged and frizzy hair I can promise you these ingredients help.
Avocado– Moisturizes and hydrates, avocado is great for dry or damaged hair.
Egg– The egg yolk provides your hair with protein while the egg white helps remove excessive oil from the hair. Some believe egg whites help hair to grow faster but the results are disputed.
Olive Oil– Moisturizes and helps naturally protect hair from damage.
Honey– Conditions and adds shine. Since honey helps retain moisture, it is also helpful in preventing hair loss.
I think I’ve become addicted to at home beauty routines like this. Not only do I feel kind of cool (because for some reason I think messy sticky hair is cool) but they actually work unlike every no heat overnight hair styling tutorial I’ve ever read on pinterest (and yes…I tried one of those last night too).
Have you ever tried a DIY hair mask? Which ingredients did you use? Did you love it?