In honor of my 21st Birthday, which thanks to all of my amazing friends, family and wonderful wonderful boyfriend, was unforgettable, I thought I would blog about a few (21) of my favorite things (using the “Sound of Music” as my inspiration, of course). Here they are-
1. Of course I must start with my boyfriend, Jeff. Not only did he completely pamper me like a princess for my birthday but he treats me like royalty every day. Plus he’s pretty cute, and puts up with me when I’m a grumpy brat soo I like him for that.
2. Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food. Okay, I know this one sounds weird but really (it’s not flakey and orange I promise), if you haven’t tried it yet…do it! It’s chocolate-y and caramel-y and marshmallow-y, what could be better than that?
3. Bubbles, not as in bubble baths (although i love those too), but as in champagne, sparkling wine and prosseco. I am not much of a drinker but anytime someone pops open a bottle of bubbles I can’t resist the celebration (even if we are simply celebrating that their happens to be a bottle of champagne in the fridge). My boss, Mandy, was sweet enough to give me the most delicious bottle of prosecco for my birthday it was so thoughtful (and delicious)! This past weekend in California I was lucky enough to attend a tasting at two popular sparkling wineries, Chandon and Shramsberg. My favorite was a sparkling rose at the beautiful Shramsberg winery (I highly recommend visiting if you’re ever near Calistoga/St.Helena).
4. Bows! Lately I’ve been really into bows, bows in my hair, bow jewelry, bows on my clothes, bow accessories. They’re girly and pretty and fun. And they’re my new motivation for getting control on my wreck less spending habit (a college student does NOT need Starbucks everyday) in order to save up for one of the Tiffany’s bow necklaces or bracelets. Wouldn’t it look gorgeous on my neck (wouldn’t it look gorgeous on anyone’s neck)?!
5. Traveling-I absolutely love any opportunity to explore the world outside of Seattle, and luckily I have been blessed in having many opportunities for adventures if even just ones close to home. I love to see the world and some of the places to see on my “bucket list” are Paris, Prague, one of those treehouses in Oregon (haha) and Kauai (heading there in March, yay!).
6. My planner, my type A personality makes this little baby a must have…actually without it I start to go a little crazy. As much as I love my iphone there is just something about a handwritten list and paper calendar that can’t be beat. Not to mention the color coordinating opportunities that my planner brings, highlighters, sharpies, stickers, I spend more fun than I like to admit simply decorating my pretty little planner.
7. Sending letters, this to goes along with my love for pretty paper and color coordination. After discovering the cutest little stationary store in Walligford (called “Paper Delights”) I have become obsessed with cute cards and stationary. Some day I want to order some of their personalized or monogrammed stationary but for now the cards I have will have to do.
8. Who doesn’t love pedicures? Well I can actually tell you one person (hint: it’s not me), but for the most part I think we can all agree that pedicures are a fairly quick and inexpensive way to relax. Plus for those of you that are like me and have the steady hand of an infant you can appreciate the art of the proper pedicure. My favorite polishes are usually sparkly but I am also a firm believer that you can never go wrong with a simple and classy french pedicure. I’m getting excited for sandal season already!
9. Starbucks Study Sessions, are my favorite and most productive way of conquering my massive school “to do list”. Not only do I accomplish more (I’m usually motivated enough to finish a whole paper or to complete my reading for the whole week) but I feel less guilty spending $5 on a mocha when I savor it for 3-4 hours. I love to have friends join me on these little study dates, it turns a dull Saturday of homework into a fun little coffee date.
10. Phone calls, I think with the ever popular text message phone calls have become underrated. While I am totally not a fan of calling to make appointments (or worse yet, cancel appointments) I appreciate chatting with friends and family over the phone. Facetime (for all you iphone and mac users) is my new favorite little gadget and way to keep in contact with friends and family (assuming of course that I’ve taken the time to shower and clean my apartment).
11. After a stressful day/week nothing quite helps me unwind like a candlelit bubble bath and a good book. As cliche as it sounds it’s the perfect way to chill out, I am so incredibly thankful that my current apartment has a bathtub. After a year of dorm life and another year of sorority life I was super tired of shower shoes and totes.
12. The adorable little babies I nanny everyday. I am so grateful that I work for such caring and kind families, both of the women so work for are not only terrific mothers and lovely people but they are truly inspiring! The three little girls I help with every morning bring so much so sunshine and happiness to everyday that it makes living in this rainy state much easier!
13. Fashion, this goes without saying especially if I you’ve seen my closet which is overflowing with clothes (despite the fact that I always feel as if I have nothing to wear). I love everything about fashion, changing fashions and I am currently taking a class on the history of costume (so far it has been incredibly interesting and I love the professor, thanks SPU)! Some of my favorite current fashion trends include peplum skirts and dresses, mint colored everything and those cute monogrammed rings and necklaces I am seeing everywhere, I think they make great gifts as they are so personal and relatively timeless. Patterned jeans are so fun, and I have yet to try this trend although Lilly Pulitzer has some really fun and spring-y ones that would make any gray day seem so much happier I’m sure!
14. How I Met Your Mother!!! I am so in love with this show, Jeff introduced it to me this summer and thank god it was on Netflix because I spent any free time I had catching up so we were able to start season six together in September. I have become soo attached to the characters and story line I feel as if Ted, lily, Marshall, Robin and Barney are really my friends. When I first heard someone compare HIMYM to the modern day version of Friends I was appalled. I love Friends and consider it both iconic and classic, I wouldn’t want some low grade sitcom compared to perhaps my favorite show of all time. Clearly I couldn’t have been more wrong as I now rank HIMYM on par with Friends, go watch it…now!
15. You may have heard me ranting and raving about Barre 3, a (new-ish) fitness trend that has been popping up in cities and towns all around the U.S. , it may seem like I’m a spokesperson for the classes but really they are just that good. The class combines yoga, Pilates and a ballet barre for an intensive strengthening workout that you can really feel (for days) afterwards. My only complaint is the cost, the classes are really expensive but I guess that is the price you have to pay for such a trendy workout in the city.
16. Everything photography, from my boyfriend (a photography student, www.jeffhenkel.com) to Instagram self portraits to beautiful framed portraits to scrapbooks and collages, I love photos. I love looking back on my happy memories with friends and family and I can’t wait to put together a few more photo books (I’m loving shutterfly right now). For my birthday my grandparents made me the sweetest photo album of pictures from when I was a kid, it was so thoughtful and it brought back so many happy memories that I had almost forgotten.
17. I am still clearly eight years old at heart, I love pillow pets, tiaras, Disney princess movies and blanket forts. However I must say my favorite childhood pastime is the sleepover. I don’t think I will ever outgrow late nights talking with friends, eating ice cream sundaes and watching girls movies (legally blonde, and the my little pony tv series are some of my favorites).
18. Brunch is my favorite meal of the day, it’s like breakfast but you get to sleep in more and in my eyes dessert is more acceptable around “brunch time”. Eggs Benedict, hot chocolate, chocolate chip croissants, and mimosas, do I dare ask what could be better?
19. Puppies, particularly my puppy make me all squeaky and warm an fuzzy and incredibly annoying! My dog Boo could quite possibly be the brattiest dog in the world (her extreme separation anxiety has ruined several comforters and destroyed 3 kennels) but I adore her. I have become a crazy dog person and I can’t hide it!
20. Dolphins, these beautiful creatures of the sea not only caboodle with mermaids, represent Tri Delta and glide through tropical waters but they are incredibly smart. Swimming with dolphins is one of my dreams, they are such intelligent animals, I know I would freak out if I ever have the chance to kiss one on the nose (obviously one of my life goals).
21. Last but not least, my beautiful family and friends. I cannot express how much I appreciate these people and all that they have done for me. I can’t wait to spend the weekend snowboarding with my mom and brother at the cabin.